Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Coraline

Last night we saw Coraline. The entire family was amazed at how good this film was. I have been a fan of Tim Burton for a long time and love everything he does, but especially his stop-motion animation (films like the Nightmare Before Christmas, James and the Giant Peach and the Corpse Bride). Coraline is definitely the best of that group. It is at once charming, enchanting and magical, while at the same time dark and sinister. Coraline Jones, the film's heroine (Dakota Fanning), has just moved with her parents from Michigan to rainy Oregon into a Victorian mansion called the Pink Palace. Having left her friends behind and with parents that don't have time to spend with her, she is very bored and thus all the more excited when she discovers a hidden door in the house that opens to a parallel universe. What she finds makes for an incredible story of witches that cut out the eyes of children, funky music from They Might Be Giant, talking cats and rats and alternate worlds that leaves you on the edge of your seat. I'll be surprised if I see a better movie this year. 4 stars out of 4.






3 comments:

The Parks said...

I am glad you liked it and I got your opinion on it before we saw it. I don't know if I could get Dave to go with me though. We will have to get out and see it sometime.

Playfulkarenb said...

Okay you convinced me...I guess I gotta see it...;o)

Unknown said...

Yep, good movie... esp. in 3D! :-D But I think you will see better movies this year, Jim, like, say, Pixar's UP.