Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Book Review - The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

Ok, this was an Oprah book. I am generally not a fan of recommending fiction books on the current best sellers list (this books has been on for a number of weeks), especially Oprah because generally they are not my type. However, I read this one because it was the choice for our book club at my work and I have to say that this is one of the best books I've read this year. It is at times Hamlet and at times Steinbeck with the small town characters like the sheriff and shop owners. Its the coming-of-age story in the 1960s and 1970s seventies about a boy growing up in deep rural Wisconsin. He is born with the ability to hear, but not to speak. Edgar's family breeds and trains dogs and he has grown up not only in the family business but loving the dogs as his best friend. When his father dies in suspicious circumstances involving his uncle, Edgar finds himself in a Hamlet like plot. It was suspenseful and I quickly cared about the characters, especially Edgar and his dogs. I highly recommend it.


No comments: