Tuesday, May 5, 2009

San Antonio

Two weeks ago I was in San Antonio to speak on ethical business practices at the USANA Celebration. The city is beautiful and a great place to visit. All sorts of restaurants, shops, museums and culture and very nice people. The USANA meeting was great. It was also a lot of fun because the event was happening during a local holiday, "Fiesta San Antonio". It is held every spring since the 1800s and celebrates the war heroes from the battle of the Alamo. Three million people celebrate in the streets and there is a massive parade. I was right in the middle of it. It felt like MardiGras. I had a funny experience. On my way downtown from the airport I was talking with the cab driver. He was Mexican American and clearly in love with his town telling me all sorts of exaggerations about how San Antonio was the best place in the world (most military presence, most visited by Presidents, best basketball team and most Mexican Americans). I asked him about Fiesta and he said that it was a big party and everyone had fun partying all night in the streets so I better be careful around the bars where drunk people would be looking for a fight. I asked him what the event was celebrating and he told me about Alamo. I then asked him if it didn't seem a little awkward that the city with the most Mexican Americans in the US (his claim) was celebrating a battle where Mexicans were forced out. He stopped talking for a minute and you could see his mind working like a computer behind his eyes. Then he looked mad and said "you know what, I never thought about it but that is right. Mother F-ing crazy Texans. . .want me to celebrate beating Mexicans. You know our governor said Texas might secede and these crazy Texans just might do it!!". I felt really bad that my comment made him reflect this way but I still couldn't help laughing as he was so dramatic.

The famous "River Walk"

2 comments:

Playfulkarenb said...

LOL!!

Gabe said...

July 3, 2009

Great pics and accounts, Jim. Would you believe? This afternoon at the university I met a Filipino agent of USANA who gave me a brochure about the company and products.

Cheers
Gabby