Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hong Kong



I just finished spending a week in Hong Kong on business. I love Hong Kong. Along with Spain, it is one of the greatest places I have ever visited. There is this wonderful mix of modernism with tradition. The food is the best I have ever eaten. I was able to travel with one of my best friends Dan who was training some new employees from Hong Kong and Taiwan and also able to meet with other good friends while I was there. I had a great time.

While I was in Hong Kong the H1N1 (swine flu) media circus was going on. A tourist from Mexico was diagnosed with the flu. Hong Kong, still wary after their economy was damaged during the SARS crisis, reacted way over the top. The entire hotel where this tourist was staying (about a block or two from my hotel) was quarantined. Nobody could leave the hotel, guests or employees, for one week. They were stuck there. Those who came in with supplies were dressed in outfits that look like space suits from the movie IT. Then on my way home passing through Japan they were measuring temperatures and asking all sorts of questions for any travellers from Canada, United States or Mexico. I guess just another experience to remember.



8 million people on this little island country (not to mention the hundreds of thousands of tourists). There is no room so they build up into the sky. There are apartment complexes consisting of several high rise buildings that house over 50,000 people. One complex is like a small suburb!


We eschewed taxis in order to take local transportation. Subway, trolley, bus, even a gondola. Lots of people and lots of lights.



This is the Tian Tan Buddha, also known as the Big Buddha (Tyler likes that as he loves the guy on Fox 13 news that goes by Big Buddha.) It is incredibly large. Inside the Buddha is a large museum that is beautiful. It is located on a mountain on Lantau island, the very last train stop (or I guess first depending on where you stop) after Hong Kong Disneyland then a many hour hike or a bus up a winding mountain or sky gondolas which we took. It is next to a Buddhist monastery and is surrounded by Buddhist culture including all vegetarian restaurants. I was very happy I had some free time on my last day (since it was May Day in Hong Kong and the office was closed) and was able to go out and see it.


The Harbor separating Hong Kong island from Kowloon on the mainland is such a pretty place. The LDS temple is in Kowloon and a beautiful multi-story stake center is in WanChai on the island. We took the ferry across the harbor.


Taken by my friend, the side of my head looking out the harbor.

4 comments:

Playfulkarenb said...

Wow...this was very informative. I would love for Dave Mu, Rein's partner to read this. He would be so interested. Thanks for posting this. Learned a lot.

Jen said...

Looks like you had a good time. Hope you enjoyed yourself some on your business trip because you are an amazing worker.

Ryan

Unknown said...

Looks like an amazing place; somewhere I would like to visit at some point. Glad to hear you had a good time!

Cyndi Bohan said...

Omgosh, I've never even been out of this country! Nice pictures you got too. :o)